DON'T MISS A NEW LISTING AGAIN!
FREE AUTOMATED EMAIL UPDATES
Even walls of stone can not contain the Old World romance radiating from this storied Princeton home on a coveted corner in the Institute area. Crushed stone paths, sculpted boxwoods and the melodious splash of a fountain mimic the sights and sounds of a European country villa and the ambiance only swells once you're under the Spanish tile roof. Built in 1920 for Princeton University professor and friend of Albert Einstein, Charles McClure, the house features plaster walls, wrought iron detailing and Juliet balconies. In recent years, legendary architect Bob Bennett renovated the spaces for better functionality and repurposed a guest house as the new main level master wing complete with separate dressing rooms leading to a luxurious limestone bath. Entertaining spaces include the barrel vaulted living room with a monumental fireplace and equally impressive arched window. From the balcony above, Einstein is said to have serenaded fellow guests on his violin. Through carved wooden doors, the dining room is large enough to hold two tables at once, while still inviting intimate conversation. Antique boulangerie-style doors decorate a walk-in pantry off the kitchen, which has side-by-side Sub Zeros adjacent a glass-front china cupboard spanning the length of a wall. The breakfast and family rooms are warm and open. High-end embellishments pepper every room. Even the powder room has upholstered walls and an antique vanity. The upper floor comprises an open sitting room, three more bedrooms and two baths. Despite its Old World looks, the house is fully wired and modernized with a discreetly attached garage.